Fonterra Advised Sanlu on ‘Safe’ Melamine Level
Posted by terres on January 28, 2009
Thanks to TEAA, our valuable friend in Wellington, for sending the link to the New Zealand article
The Moderators have vociferously maintained that Fonterra executives knew about Sanlu’s melamine-tainted infant formula years in advance of the scandal breaking out, despite their denials.
The truth is now beginning to come out in dribs and drabs! Here’s how the story is unfolding:
Tian Wenhua, the former President and General Manager of Sanlu, who received a life sentence for her part in the Sanlu tainted infant formula scandal, said during her trial that “she made the decision not to halt production of the tainted products because a board member, designated by New Zealand dairy product giant Fonterra that partly owned Sanlu Group, presented her a document saying a maximum of 20 mg of melamine was allowed in every kg of milk in the European Union. She said she had trusted the document at that time.” Xinhua reported.
[Note: Readers are reminded that Sanlu Was First Banned in 2004, then Reinstated.]
Fonterra should set the record straight and release minutes at the center of the Chinese contaminated milk scandal, Green Party MP Sue Kedgley says. (January 28, 2009, 8:09 pm). Source Stuff.co.nz. Image may be subject to copyright.
NZ Green Party MP Sue Kedgley said Fonterra’s credibility was on the line after the statement made by Tian Wenhua that “Fonterra approved a level of melamine in baby milk formula sold in China,” and has asked the New Zealand dairy cooperative to release the minutes of the conversation between the Fonterra director and Sanlu’s former president.
“Fonterra is our biggest exporter and it is critical for its international reputation that the dairy company front up with evidence to dispel any doubts about its business practices in China,” Ms Kedgley said.
“If the minutes of the recorded conversation demonstrate—as Fonterra claims—that Fonterra was adamant it was totally unacceptable to sell milk with any level of melamine contamination in it, this will help set the record straight.”
“Fonterra chief executive Andrew Ferrier today said the conversation had been minuted, but he did not intend to release it to media while a court appeal was pending.” NZPA reported. [Moderators wonder how difficult it might be for Fonterra to change the content of the said minutes to save its own backside.]
Fonterra chief executive, Andrew Ferrier. Do you trust him with your little baby’s kidneys? Ferrier on Tuesday confirmed Tian had been given a document by a Fonterra board member, but he is economical with the truth about the content of the document. Mr Ferrier and his colleagues have so far gotten away with murder. Photo: NZPA. Image may be subject to copyright.
“Everybody wants to move on, I think that’s the message that we’re getting from our shareholders. We’ve learned some painful lessons, we’ve learned to be more suspicious about supply chains, we’ve learned to shrink down our time of implementation of measures.” Ferrier said.
[Mr Ferrier, due to their kidney failures, at least 6 Chinese babies will never be able to "move on!" And another ½ million or so babies could move only with great difficulty. MSRB Moderators.]
Related News Links:
- Fonterra needs to release minutes, say Greens [ http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/PA0901/S00132.htm ]
- Former dairy boss in milk scandal plans to appeal life sentence
- China Syndrome
- To NZ PM Clark: Confirm or Deny! ["Gotcha!"]
- Demand Answers From Chinese Govt
- Shame on Chinese Govt
- Taiwan Cares about Citizens, China Doesn’t!
- Scale of Sanlu-Fonterra Corporate Manslaughter Widens
This post has 570 words, 2 images, 6 links.