Thought for the Day
The integrity and security of a nation depends on its officials playing by the rule of law, not by conducting “false flag” operations.
When a bunch of despicable creatures like George Tenet, James Woolsey… sign a petition, you know instinctively that they are still conspiring against the entire nation.
Seven former heads of the CIA have written to President Obama urging him to abort the probe into abuse of prisoners held by the agency, “arguing that it would hamper intelligence operations.” Reuters reported.
Richard B. Cheney: Former VP and one of the Masterminds of 9/11 attacks on America. Does any sane person in the country trust this mass murderer?
“U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder last month named a prosecutor to examine whether criminal charges should be filed against Central Intelligence Agency interrogators or contractors for going beyond approved interrogation methods, including [torturer techniques like waterboarding, electric shocks to the genitals,] using a power drill and death threats [to coerce information from] detainees [in violation of U.S. and international law.]“
George Tenet: Former Director of CIA, a pathological liar and war criminal. Does any sane person in the country trust this mass murderer, either?
The former CIA chiefs countered that the cases had already been investigated during the Bush administration and lawyers had declined to prosecute all but one contractor.
“This approach will seriously damage the willingness of intelligence officers to take risks to protect the country,” they said in their letter. “In our judgment, such risk-taking is vital to success in the long and difficult fight against terrorists who continue to threaten us.”
The letter to Obama was signed by three CIA directors under President George W. Bush — Michael Hayden, Porter Goss and George Tenet — as well as by John Deutch, James Woolsey, William Webster and James Schlesinger, who dates to the Nixon administration.
Holder, who has the President’s confidence on the issue, said in late August that he had decided to reopen the cases because “it is clear to me that this review is the only responsible course of action for me to take.”
The White House has so far declined to comment on the letter.
The Washington Post, citing two sources briefed on the matter, reported on Friday night that the Justice Department review would focus on only a very small number of cases, including one in which an Afghan prisoner died at a secret CIA facility in Afghanistan seven years ago.
Former Vice President Dick Cheney, and other officials in Bush administration, have repeatedly defended their actions [torture,] claiming coercive interrogations yielded useful information.
The former CIA directors warned that Holder’s decision “creates an atmosphere of continuous jeopardy” for those involved and that there was no reason to believe the investigation would be narrowly focused.
They also warned that releasing more details about interrogation methods could help al Qaeda operatives elude U.S. intelligence efforts and plan operations.
“Disclosures about CIA collection operations have and will continue to make it harder for intelligence officers to maintain the momentum of operations that have saved lives and helped protect America from further attacks,” they said.
A CIA’s inspector general’s report detailing the harsh interrogation techniques noted that they did not succeed.
Holder’s spokesperson said, the attorney general has decided to name a prosecutor to investigate the torture allegation, based on the recommendation of the Justice Department’s ethics office and other information.
“The attorney general’s decision to order a preliminary review into this matter was made in line with his duty to examine the facts and to follow the law,” said spokesman Matt Miller.
“As he has made clear, the Department of Justice will not prosecute anyone who acted in good faith and within the scope of the legal guidance given by the Office of Legal Counsel regarding the interrogation of detainees.”