None Shall Sleep!
Posted by edro on January 11, 2008
Nessun dorma (None Shall Sleep)
Submitted by a Member
Calaf, Il principe ignoto (the unknown/unidentified prince), falls in love at first sight with the beautiful but coldhearted Princess Turandot [Puccini’s famous opera mass popularized by the late Pavarotti, the Ringo Starr of opera.] To wed Turandot, however, he must first answer three questions. Speciously, and as if in a world void of real drama, if he fails, he will be beheaded:
1. Where do people of Pianura dump their own garbage (the residents of Pianura, near Naples, Italy, clashed with police and firefighters this week in a bid to prevent the reopening of the old Pianura garbage dump as an estimated 200,000 tons of garbage lies rotting in the streets)?
2. What happened to the two billion euros paid out by the government over the past 14 years to ‘solve’ the garbage disposal problem?
3. And, as the first of the 500-ton boatloads of garbage reach the emerald coast of Sardinia, why must the garbage produced in Naples and the surrounding Campania region be dumped some 300 miles across the Tyrrhenian Sea in Sardinia (or the New York garbage be trucked as far away as New Mexico), instead of citizens of Naples and communities in Campania (ditto New York and elsewhere) making minor changes to their lifestyles to prevent swamping the planet with garbage?
How much more garbage must be dumped or incinerated before the cities, entire regions and ecosystems collapse? See below for a list of the ‘Dynamics of Collapse.’
Stop New Zealand Committing Eco-Terrorism!
No Rest for the Wicked!
A Definition of Eco-terrorism: “An act that terrorizes other species and threatens the ecological systems of the planet.” ~ Paul Watson
Halfway across the world, in New Zealand, where probably one hundred times as many four-legged animals as their two-legged cousins live, hundreds of millions of tons of agricultural waste and farm runoffs are discharged into the lakes and coastal waters, and millions of tons of methane gas are released to the environment each year. The land and the dead zones in the coastal waters are dotted with chemical weapons dumps for good measure.
In a land where some lambs are born hermaphrodite and with 7 legs (surprised?), where the pregnant females first prayer is not for a healthy baby, but one with pale color and fair hair, the government proactively lures 2.5 million uninformed persons from all over the world every year to commit ecocide.
In New Zealand, the beacon of militarized democracies, the waste, municipal, agricultural, industrial, WMD and all is dumped in the land and at sea as if by general consent for commercial expediency— not just because it is someone else’s land and they don’t belong, or could care less about. There is no chivalry, no princesses, and certainly no questions are asked for raping the environment. The fate of ‘Il principe ignoto’ seems to have been sealed long ago!
In a country where generally there’s no shortage of food or resources and the land thieves could live comfortably side by side the indigenous people, the ecocide is committed in the name of national economy, so that everyone becomes party to the heinous crime. Unlike the Italians, the New Zealanders will never protest because no one would be stupid enough to kill ‘the goose that laid the golden egg!’ Meanwhile, the banshees of New Zealand chorus cry: … E noi dovrem, ahimè, morir, morir! (… and we must, alas, die, die! )
The concerned individuals throughout the world must declare New Zealand an ecological disaster zone and STOP the ongoing eco-terrorism committed by the New Zealand government and its tourism industry in the name of national economy. The 2.5 million uninformed persons who visit New Zealand each year become unwitting accomplices in the crime of ecocide; they must be coached on how to minimize their impacts on the failing ecosystems and be prevented from traveling.
Surviving 2008, Year of the Expected Unknowns!
The New Year can only get as good as the state we left the old one in. Do you remember the state of 2007? This year would be remembered as Year of the Expected Unknowns, and judging by the state in which 2007 ended, 2008 would be the year where war, globalization, political economy and the legal limits to polluting the environment, as well as our ‘way-over-the-legal-limits’ lifestyles will prove our undoing. So, be advised, whatever can go wrong [over and above 2007] will begin going wrong, in 2008, in the worst possible way.
Will 2008 be the year when a major island [or two] is mostly submerged underwater by plate-tectonic forces?
Many more nasty ‘surprises’ and disastrous scenarios will unfold. One thing will be for certain, however, the crippling advantages of the ongoing mix of Pax Americana and Davos scenarios will reveal the depth and the devastation of the “Chain of Human-induced Disasters” scenario in 2008.
The Dynamics of Collapse
- Mass homicide/suicide as a result of neurological disorder caused by mercury poisoning.
- Tourism [euphemistically, eco-tourism]
- Accumulation of toxic pollution in the environment
- Overwhelmed by mounting agricultural, municipal (sewage) and industrial waste
- Poor global harvest/Food scarcity
- Running Dry (Running out of fresh water)
- Human-induced climate change
- Increased UV radiation
- Foodborne, waterborne, airborne and insectborne infectious diseases (viral, bacterial, parasitic, fungal, prion)
- Sinking into the ground (large-scale subsidence caused by overuse of groundwater supplies)
- Global collapse of pollinators
- Extreme climatic events (including extreme rain events, floods)
- Collapse of natural pest regulation systems
- Failing ecosystems
- Societal collapse (unsustainable lifestyles, overconsumption, unethical behavior)
- Fuel shortage
- Spread of pandemic diseases
- Industrial accidents (including oil spills)
- Epidemics of plant and animal diseases
- Soil degradation (salination, erosion, loss of fertility); Desertification
- Economic collapse
- Land use change
- Habitat destruction
- War (conventional and nuclear)
- Collapse of fisheries/fish species
- Civil conflict
- Overshoot of Carrying Capacity; Increased ecological footprint; Overpopulation (esp. DCs*)
- Inordinate prevalence of psychopathology caused by industrialization, militarization and dysfunctional societies
- Human-enhanced Natural catastrophes including earthquakes, floods, tsunamis, hurricanes, tropical storms, cyclones, extreme rainfall events, landslides, volcanic eruptions, droughts and wildfires.
- Stop New Zealand Committing Eco-Terrorism!
- Out of the Italian Mafia Frying Pan, Into the Swiss Mafia Fire
- Naples garbage is mafia gold
- Truth About ‘100% Pure New Zealand’ Advertising Campaign
- Murdered in New Zealand in the Prime of Her Life
- New Zealand: A Tourist Deathtrap
- Canadian Tourist Murdered?